Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 34:36 — 30.0MB) | Embed
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Spotify | Amazon Music | Android | Pandora | iHeartRadio | Stitcher | JioSaavn | Podchaser | Gaana | Podcast Index | Email | TuneIn | Deezer | Anghami | RSS | More
Consultant Matthew Dicks show us how to live our best life in his book Someday Is Today: 22 Simple, Actionable Ways to Propel Your Creative Life.
Someday—-when the kids are grown, when work lightens up, when I win the lottery — I am going to start that business. Become a yoga teacher, write that book, develop that app, paint that picture, finish my degree, pick up that musical instrument. We all know the drill; we block our creative life using procrastination as a tool. But, that can end today if you want to move forward.
Dicks’ book empowers readers to make manageable changes to achieve the things they would love to make happen without upending their lives. The practical advice he shares has worked for him and countless other creative people he has consulted, whatever their goal.
We talk about
- silencing negative messages from family, friends, and teachers
- eliminating time-sucking people and activities
- being willing to be lousy when you first begin
- finding supporters here, there, and everywhere
- cultivating optimism in the face of negativity and obstacles
- how to be kind to ourselves
- develop effective communication
- saying bye-bye to perfection. We are perfect just as we are
- being accountable
- sleeping correctly
Matthew Dicks is a bestselling novelist, nationally recognized storyteller, and award-winning elementary schoolteacher; he teaches storytelling and communications at universities, corporate workplaces, and community organizations. Dicks has won multiple Moth GrandSLAM story competitions and., with his wife, created the organization Speak Up to help others share their stories. They also cohost the, Speak Up Storytelling podcast.