Dave Nassaney has written a definitive guide book for caregivers to thrive It’s My Life, Too! Thrive and Stay Alive as a Caregiver. Caregivers often sacrifice their own health and live to take care of their loved ones. Dave tells us hoe not to fall into that trap and live a fulfilled life and take care of your loved one.
When we find ourselves in the position of caring for our loved ones, it can seem like a doubled edge sword. On the one hand, we want to step up and take care of our loved one, then again, we want to live our lives fully. Dave shares information that will help you keep balance in your life and thrive as you assisting another being.
In 1996 Dave’s wife Charlene had a massive stroke that left her paralyzed on the right side, and her speech was severely affected. Determined not to “place” her in a facility, Dave dove off of the deep end and brought his beautiful wife home to care for her. He shares what he has learned about caring for self, your loved one, and how to love and honor yourself while looking after others.
We talk about
- The three biggest mistakes that caregivers make that put them at a higher risk of hospitalization or worse dying while caring for another
- The CARE formula for surviving burnout
- The four-step process of grief – 1. Denial 2. Anger 3. Bargaining 4. Depression
- How to avoid caregiver guilt
- Why taking care of self first – self-care is paramount to taking care of someone else
- How to get respite care
- What government agencies can help with caregiving
- When a caregiver must hire a coach to help them get through the day. week.year
Dave Nassaney is a speaker, syndicated radio host, life coach, and bestselling author of It’s My Life Too! Thrive and Stay Alive as a Caregiver. Dave has appeared nationally and on the stage with Suzanne Somers.
Listen to his radio show Dave the Caregivers caregiver